0

Sixth Post: MIS: Reflection - COMDDAP Davao Expo 2009


The members of the COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines), which represents the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals, held an expo here in Davao city at the Apo View Hotel last july 2-4, 2009.
People from different organizations, schools,ordinary or professionals came to witness this annual event.

Before the said event, we are informed by our professor to register(free registration online) first on the site that was given to us because the seminars are for limited seats only. The event is open for everyone who are interested with information technology. On the first they of there expo, I and some of my classmates went to visit there exhibit and to check out the new trends of technologies nowadays and the different amazing gadgets. Since it was announced that the speaker for the seminar will be late, we grab the chance to collect some souvenirs for this expo. I enjoy roaming around in the exhibit area and compile different flyers and glossy papers from the different exhibit and also trying to explore the different gadgets that was diplayed in the expo.

Well, as what I have observed, the sessions were managed by the big names in term of IT developers. They are the Nexus Group, Jupiter Systems, Inc., Edupro Inc., and Spinweb Inc. And since I was registered on the afternoon session on the first day of expo, I noticed that most of the audience or listeners are from our institution(both Information Technology and Computer Science students from the University of Southeastern Philippines) so, I feel more comfortable and interested to listen.

Our first speaker is from the Jupiter System Inc. He introduce himself and then he start discussing about the ERIC [Enterprise Resource Information and Control] Dealer Management System (DMS). As what I have understand, its an end-to-end software solution for automotive dealer operation. He mention that the Jupiter System Inc is a 100% Filipino-owned industry. They support dealer activities from marketing to sales and services. At first I am a bit confused because he mention about Ford, Mercedes Benz, Honda, Mitsubishi, and other model of vehicles so I thought they are just selling cars but as he go deeper with his discussion, I discover that the ERIC DMS is a software that is usually used for automotive sales, parts and and services in a business. Well, honestly speaking, I can't relate with what he is discussing because I am not that interested with cars. And on the later discussion, I hear him talking about Microsoft SQL. Wow! This is what I've been waiting for. As an IT or CS student, we should be aware with the use of the different software used in business industry. The first presenter is not quite interesting to hear(am sorry for that) but still I've learn some about the program that he have discussed. As a whole, the presentation is good. As an IT student, it is good to know how a certain program works and how it was used by the industry.



Now, lets go on with the second session. The nest presenter is one from the Nexus Technologies Inc. There topic is about the HP thin client. He present to us their product. At first, I am curious of what that thing works or what are its functions. Its my first time to hear about thin clients so I am interested to listen especially when he told us that they will be asking some questions at the end of there discussion and he will give us some freebies: HP t-shirt and 2gb, 8gb USB flash drive. Honestly, those freebies added my interest to listen with there presentation. I noticed that all the audience are very active with the presentation.(hahaha)

About the presentation, he introduced to us their product, which is the HP thin client. I learned that thin client is a computing device without a hard drive and CPU fan. It has a low energy consumption and data are stored in remote and centralized server. Another thing that I have learned from their discussion is that hp thin client is designed for businesses because it will make your business more efficient. According to the speaker, the speed, flexibility and security of your network are guaranteed. The best thing with the said product is that it is safer in terms of viruses. And if am not mistaken, ones the hardware is reboot, it will automatically delete the viruses. He explains well the functions, features, and how reliable it will be to use.

Now, the most awaited part, the Q&A part. Everyone was excited because of there freebies. Honestly, I would love to have the t-shirt from hp and everyone became so active and alert in answering the questions. Unfortunately, I didn’t won any but the learning that I have is enough to consider this day as one of the days I would always remember.

This is just one of the events held for us to be aware of the latest breakthroughs. As an IT/CS student, its really a great experience and privilege.


0 comments:

Back to Top